[Openchrome-users] HDMI support clarification

Amit Uttamchandani amit.uttam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 13:45:11 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:21:55PM +0200, Xavier Bachelot wrote:

[snip]

> The X driver contains some support for HDMI output, but it's not very
> reliable, as you have already found out. As the way forward is KMS and
> UMS is on the decline, it was better to spend time properly implementing
> HDMI and DVI support for KMS, that is in the via drm kernel module,
> rather than fixing the X driver code.
>
> So, in some cases, you'll be happy with just the X driver. In other
> cases, UMS will not work or not properly and then you'll need the
> drm-openchrome kernel to be able to use KMS.
>
> However, the via DRM driver as found in the drm-openchrome kernel is not
> yet feature complete, and lacks some features that are available with
> UMS. Most notably, there's no support for 2D acceleration, Xv/XvMC, TV
> out, etc... Those features will be added over time, and KMS is expected
> to be on par with UMS and even better in the next few months.

Currently we are shipping a 3.2.40 kernel with our product. Does the drm
drivers require code from 3.9 or can I backport the via drm drivers to
our kernel. Or would you recommend playing around with the X driver and
trying to get a rudimentary support for HDMI? At this point,
acceleration is not a concern.

Thanks,
Amit