[Openchrome-users] XBMC or any other media center support?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Sat Mar 23 03:46:32 PDT 2013

On 03/18/2013 10:19 AM, valent.turkovic at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I got small Mini ITX machine, Igel 3/4 with VIA Eden CPU, Via CN700,
> VIA UniChrome Pro (VT3344)...
>
> I would like to run any kind of media center on this machine. First
> choice is XBMC, but if you have any luck running anthing else please
> let me know how you did it.
>
> I'm not expecting full hd, but standard resolution should work fine, right?
>
> Anybody got XBMC running with OpenChrome drivers? Are there any other
> drivers, any proprietary ones that work?

XBMC will not work due to lack of 3D acceleration. Well, it'll work but
so slowly it's not usable. Anything else that doesn't require 3D for the
interface should work fine. fwiw, I'm using MythTV with xine as external
video player.
With a CN700, you should have MPEG2 hardware decoding, however, I think
there are various flavours of the Igel boxes, with CPU ranging from C3
600Mhz to C3 1 Ghz.  The lower clocked C3 might be a bit weak for some
content. I was looking at some cheap Igel box on ebay to had the CN700
to my hardware collection ;-)