[Openchrome-users] Trying to get Openchrome (update) working on HP2133 and openSUSE Tumbleweed

Keith Mitchell keith at smoti.org
Sat May 27 14:45:51 UTC 2017

First up, a big thank you to all openchrome developers for your efforts,
I got 4 solid years of productive use out of my trusty HP Mini Note 2133
thanks to your work :-)

I've been inspired by Kevin's recent efforts kicking life back into this
project to attempt getting my HP2133 updated as a fall-back laptop.

I'm trying to do this with openSUSE Tumbleweed (build 20170521 for i586,
package xf86-video-openchrome version 0.6.0-1.1), but am running into
the following errors on X startup:

[ 39555.119] (EE) Failed to load module "via" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 39555.138] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 39555.295] (EE) CHROME(0): [drm] Failed to open DRM device for
pci:0000:01:00.0: No such file or directory
[ 39555.299] (EE) CHROME(0): Unable to map the frame buffer.

I suspect this is probably an installation error rather than a bug,
seems like VIA DRM is missing/broken. I'm confused however about which
DRM I should be running from where, and how to build/install, or even if
needed.

The 4.11.1 kernel that comes with this Tumbleweed build is missing:

  /lib/modules/4.11.0-1-pae/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/via/via.ko

(apparently removed since 4.9.x for security reasons [*] )-:, but I get
exactly the same problem with an earlier 4.8.11 kernel which does
include this.

I've also tried compiling and installing the openchrome driver from the
xf86-video-openchrome-0.6.0.tar.gz source tarball, again same result.

Am running with an empty xorg.conf, as that is what worked great before
I upgraded this laptop (from SuSE 11.4, kernel 2.6.37.6, openchrome
0.2.904).

Have dumped various files about the state of my system, including
Xorg.0.log, at http://www.smoti.org/openchrome/ FWIW.

I really need 2D acceleration to work, _don't_ need 3D or video
playback, but would love to get dual-head working.

Would appreciate any pointers on what I may (or SUSE) be getting wrong.

Thanks,

Keith

[*] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1680276