[openchrome-users] xf86-video-openchrome: X server crashing rightupon start after upgrade to 1.20.11

Peter Mattern pmattern at arcor.de
Sun Jul 25 20:26:08 UTC 2021

Turns out the issue was due to Xorg.wrap lacking the setuid bit.
At first glance this seems to be caused by a problem in the tool used to create the binary packages on Arch Linux [1].
For whatever reason I had never realized that the Openchrome 2DDX driver does need root permissions and hence searched in the wrong directions. X version 1.20.11 was nothing but a red herring as it happened to be the first binary package affected by the packaging bug.

Now running the X server with root permissions is actually quite unfortunate these days.
May I assume that this is only due to the lack of DMS/KMS and no longer needed when these are in action?

On a side note a framebuffer driver certainly wasn't involved.
All those hardware specific ones including viafb as well as uvesafb were removed from the Arch Linux kernels long ago, see e.g. [2]. vesafb is compiled into the kernels but was disabled by command line option vga=normal all the time.

P. S. Please excuse the HTML crap earlier today. An oversight while testing a web client.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71578
[2] https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/0b58d1e8e985668310ecbd2cb6f53cd4a5899d28