[openchrome-users] 2D acceleration with DRM driver from drm-next-5.17

ValdikSS iam at valdikss.org.ru
Wed May 4 13:18:14 UTC 2022

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to achieve better 2D performance on WYSE C10LE thin client
with VIA Eden Esther and VX855 video.
Current openchrome DDX works with this video, but it's pretty slow on
default settings, which I assume have hardware acceleration (EXA)
enabled, at least that's what I see in xorg log.

I tried to compile DRM driver from drm-next-5.17 branch, compiled the
freshest DDX driver available, it starts but the performance is worse
than with DDX alone, it does not have hardware acceleration enabled
according to X log, and indeed the current DDX code disables acceleation
if KMS is used.

Kevin, you said that DRM driver requires yet unreleased 0.7 version of
DDX driver. Do you have plans to publish it in the closest future? Or
could you maybe send it to me in private?

P.S. regarding running DRM driver. It requires "openchrome.modeset=1"
kernel argument (or module argument of the same name), which is not
stated anywhere, and X also won't start with "drmSetMaster failed" error
if the screen is occupied with the tty - had to "systemctl stop
getty at tty1" first.