[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Nov 2 13:47:32 PST 2006

    2. I think promoting copyleft fonts is important

Regardless of the legal quandaries of public domain, I certainly agree
that copyleft is preferable to public domain (or non-copyleft free, for
that matter), and that the OFLicense seems the only viable choice in
that regard.

What fonts in the public domain exist, anyway?  I'm not aware of any.

I am getting the idea that the consensus is that OFLibrary is about
collecting OFLicensed (and hence new) fonts, rather than collecting
existing free fonts.  Correct/incorrect?  (I have no strong feelings
about this choice myself, but I'd like to understand. :)

karl