[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Nov 3 00:31:20 PST 2006

On 03/11/06, Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 02:30 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
>
> > If the OFLB itself is exclusively for OFL fonts (as I suggested),
> > perhaps the [http://directory.gnu.org GNU Project Free Software
> > Directory] is a good place to list *ALL* the Free Fonts that float
> > around on the web, no matter what the license (as long as its free
> > software). That is the goal of the FSD, for all Free Software,
> > afterall.
>
> You need to make sure that they are in fact Free, and not commercial
> non-Free designs copied and marked as Free.  This is common practice,
> unfortunately.
>
> I'd rather see that the original font designer have to submit fonts.

Yes, I am also advocating this.

As part of persuading Free Font developers to "Go OFL!", we would need
to persuade them to contribute their fonts to the OFLB on an ongoing
basis.

We need to strike a balance between accreting many contributions
towards a wide and rich font library, and quality. The bare minimum
level of quality is to exclude non-free fonts.

If the OFLB itself is exclusively for OFL fonts (as I suggested), it
will not be a very wide library initially, but will be of top quality.

To underline this point, creating a list of all free fonts of variable
quality elsewhere on the web, with strong links both ways, would help
define the goal of quality and an OFL commons.

The FSD list already provides lots of infrastructure and is a good
home for this, IMO.