[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Nov 14 02:28:59 PST 2006

On 14/11/06, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:

> Is there a concept of international public domain that the UK respects?

"It can't be done. There are those who disagree with that position, in
US law — in UK law it is pretty much accepted that it's impossible —
and they may even be right, I don't know, though I doubt it. But they
don't know either. It hasn't been tested in Court."
 - http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Licensing_and_Law/public-domain.html

> What is the highest level we can state that will trickle down
> internationally?

"Please note that the Public Domain Dedication may not be valid
outside of the United States."
 - http://creativecommons.org/license/publicdomain-2

"based on United States law"
 - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

Because of this, I thought that we were heading towards OFL only [0],
with work being done to get the Open Font License done up as a CC
deed.

I believe that thread was crossposted here and on the ofl-discuss
list, and has stalled. Not heard back from AaronSw yet...

[0]: From up this thread: