[Openfontlibrary] more updates on Open Font Library

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 23 02:00:26 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 12:35 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > I also set it up to only take fonts declared public domain.
> >
> > Yes, we need to debate which font format(s) and license(s) to use, but
> > this will get the ball rolling to move our old content into the current
> > system.
>
> I would go for several options:
>
> Open Font License
> CC licenses
> FreeArt license
> GNU GPL v2

I'm not sure...fonts are a very murky area which pushes me to think
public domain is the way (like clip art). The GNU GPL is meant for
source code, so its application to non-source code, as in fonts, is not
accurate, so flawed. I don't think allowing all the cc licenses is very
clear, but possible.

The Open Font License sounds reasonable, but I'm curious to hear more
ideas about its usage.

I don't know about the Free Art License, so am curious about this one as
well.

Part of what makes Open Clip Art Library successful is a clarity of what
is accepted and the simple dedication to public domain.

I know there has been much discussion about this in the past, but wonder
what is best for the open source community, what will encourage this
project to thrive, and what will increase the culture around this
project?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org