[Openfontlibrary] looking for corefonts replacements, how to replace?, and site search

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 12 10:27:59 PDT 2007

> Be warned that typeface designs are subject to copyright in most non-US
> Western countries.  So you can't just "re-implement" typeface designs.

1) last I knew, there were typeface copyright laws in Germany and UK (and
   France for the Romain du Roi only).  If the situation is different
   now, is there somewhere I can read about this?

2) last I knew, the law in Germany was not retroactive, while the law in
   Britain was, but was so strangely worded the actual meaning of the
   retroactivity was not clear.  (E.g., could someone copyright
   Baskerville?  That would be absurd, although that is no impediment to
   lawyers, I know.)

   And I think the font designs under discussion predate the copyright
   laws (presuming MS registered them in the possible countries in the
   first place), so ...

> People will also have documents that use specific font names.

Copyright law does not cover usage.  Although company lawyers don't
believe this any more.

karl