[Openfontlibrary] Linux and fonts (was on inkscape dev list)

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:22:01 PDT 2007

Hello,
Didn't get much authority on the Inkscape dev list (well not yet) - which
surprised me a little. But John Philips advised me to pipe this over here;
so, with some edits:

I use Kubuntu (Dapper), but I reckon this will apply to a lot of distros:
How do Linux fonts work?

I know that is simplistic and it has to do with fontconfig and a tonne of
config files and a million type1 fonts in a bajillion folders, but can anyone
get me started on the big picture?

I'm asking because my little project, FontyPython, revolves around managing
fonts etc. One of the most irksome things is to have fonts in a chooser (like
under Inkscape) that I do not want there.
For example, if I have *zero* fonts in my ~/.fonts directory, and I run
Inkscape, about 600 fonts list in the chooser! That's just plain nuts! Man,
that's cashew nuts, Brazil nuts!
(I imagine I inadvertently installed a bunch of them by a casual apt-get
sometime, but I cannot remember the invocation.)

So, I am wondering about ways to lessen this clutter and write a 'cleanup'
script that can remove them from the system -- not delete them, just
uninstall them or whatever the term is. If I cannot do this, then at least
include a section in the FontyPython help to explain how to fix it.

I can't even find these fonts by 'locate' or 'find'. There's one
called "Christian Participants" which I don't like and never use and I cannot
even find the file on the drive, let alone uninstall it!

So, anyone with a clue? have mercy on me :)
/d

BTW - I have a few days to hack and Fonty Python is getting the ability to
handle OTF and PFB fonts in the next release. This is through no deep
understanding by myself, but is all due to the Python Imaging Library and the
good work of the folks over there. It turns out all I needed to do was
include "*.OTF" and "*.PFB" when filling my arrays with filenames. I *hope*
it's that easy, tests seem positive.

--
"Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators."
-- Richard Dawkins