[Openfontlibrary] Re: [DejaVu-fonts] forming new maintenance team for MPH 2B Damase?

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Thu Feb 15 01:48:47 PST 2007

> Hi, Jon,
>
> Victor Gaultney's investigation of this font, as reported in an
> earlier email, clearly shows that this font contains exact copies of
> other people's glyphs where the permission for such copying is not
> clear at all.
>
> To me, that suggests this font is a legal can of worms that you should
> not be so quick to jump on.
>
> If OFLB decides to use it, OFLB will have to investigate every single
> glyph, and will have to cut out all of those where permission for use
> cannot be obtained.  That might be a lot of glyphs.
>
> - Ed
>
> On 2/11/07, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
>>
>> Sure, we could host it as part of Open Font Library so we can all make
>> revisions, derivatives, etc. Would that interest you all?
>>
>> This will help our community as well to get sorted with packaging and
>> some other features...
>>
>> Jon

I very much agree with Victor and Ed on this.

IMHO the OFLB shouldn't jump ahead and accept fonts with potential
problems before our guidelines are really set.

Various potential contributors have expressed the need for quality,
trust and respect for type design values. If we don't focus on this and
make it clear throughout the site then I'm afraid we're simply creating
yet another "freeware font site" that designers will ignore :-(

My time for this is limited but I see what I can do to help.

As for packaging I think we can leave that to the distros at this stage
and simply provide tarballs.

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org