[Openfontlibrary] exljbris

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Jan 26 18:11:34 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 22:48 -0100, Gustavo Ferreira wrote:
> this is old, but i would like to make some comments:
>
> > Here's the non-free license information for these fonts. They are
> > very nice though! :-)
> >
> > > Font license information
> > > This font is free for personal and commercial use
> >
> > Awesome!
> >
> > > This font may not be modified
> >
> > Not so awesome :-(
>
> why not?
>
> i think this is a fair deal: the type-designer is letting you use his fonts for free, and he asks for your
> feedback so he can continue improving the font.

I think what the original commenter is saying is that it is not so great
for this community. Gustavo, I agree with your sentiment in that its up
to the artist.

> > > This font may not be distributed -not online nor on any
> > > media- without my permission
> >
> > Not so awesome :-(
>
> why not?
>
> the type-designer gets public attention in exchange for letting everybody use his fonts without
> paying.
>
> note that he is not saying 'fonts may not be distributed' - he just wants to be able to have some
> control on that.
>
> i think this is fair.

I agree completely. I just think this is a miscommunication.

> > > This font may not be sold
> >
> > Not so awesome :-(
>
> why not?!
>
> this guy has put a lot of effort in studying type-design, making these fonts and the website. why
> should others make profit from his hard work?
>
> sorry dave, but i think your comments just show a lack of comprehension for the designer's point of
> view...

Yah, I agree. I think its good to get compensation. We don't want to
starve here do we :) However, yet again, I think this is a
miscommunication...I personally don't think this community is about not
making money and being down on people for not going public domain or
OpenFont License or using our site. Really, it is great that more people
are making fonts and making them available. Plus, running an open
community is about a larger healthy ecosystem that means the larger font
community at large.

Jon