[Openfontlibrary] red hat liberation fonts

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu May 10 20:48:11 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 03:12 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:

> > I wonder who the best person at Redhat is to contact about asking for
> > an OFL release? :-)
>
> The actual links to the files are now up, and are at
>
> https://www.redhat.com/f/fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf.tar.gz
>
> There is a press release at
> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/ about this
> from Mark Webbink, Deputy General Counsel and Secretary, and the beef
> is:
>
> 0. They are under the GPL+font exception
> 1. They are metrically equivalent fonts to TNR, Arial and Courier
> 2. Version 2 with full hinting will be out by 2008
> 3. Ascender Corp did it (they do a lot of Microsoft's fontwork,
> especially hinting, iirc)
> 4. Ascender retains rights to make them available as proprietary software
> 5. The family is trademarked "Liberation"

I'm cc'ing Andy Fitzsimon and Jack Aboutboul to see who to connect with
at RedHat for trying to get them dual-licensed at least with Open Font
License and/or something less restrictive.

Also, I would like to underline that GPL is for source code.

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org