[Openfontlibrary] Fwd: Droid fonts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Nov 17 14:50:44 PST 2007

On 17/11/2007, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> Dave, it would be great to try to engage Ascender over the Open Font
> License and also OFLB now...just to talk about and see if they will
> relese some fonts on the site...

Ascender's reply shows that the licensing isn't up to them.

I don't think the OFLB is developed sufficiently enough to be
attractive to foundries, and it is unstrategic to engage them too
early.

Ascender don't appear any more interested in free software than any
other large established foundry, other than that they don't have a
"religious" anti-freedom attitude so they'll contract for work on
fonts that will be free software.

Smaller, less well known proprietary foundries have more to gain from
releasing some font software as free software, since its a stock "loss
leader" play out of any "introduction to marketting" book for them.