[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Stephen Hartke hartke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 07:57:14 PST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 6:12 AM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:

> fonts in TTF format, where something like the original source could be
> very useful as well, since with TTF we only get the quadratic curves,
> while they were designed with cubic curves (sure, convertors exist, but
> they have small errors).

This is one of the main problems I have with the Open Font License (OFL).
For a project (font or software or whatever) to be truly Free/Libre/Open
Source, I think that everything should be provided that was used to produce
the font.

For example, the nice Charis SIL is released under the OFL by SIL in TTF
format with quadratic curves. Internally, SIL works on the font as cubic
splines. They even request that patches be submitted as cubic splines!
However, when I contacted them, they refused to release the cubic curves
that they internally use to produce the font.

For this reason, I am planning my future font releases (those created solely
by me) under the GPL+font exception. I would be interested to hear from
other subscribers of the mailing list their opinion of the best way to
handle this licensing issue.

Best wishes,
Stephen