[Openfontlibrary] library philosophy (was: new release of the Ubuntu titling font)

George Williams gww at silcom.com
Thu Jan 3 11:42:54 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 09:22, Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
> The OFL model does not place a strict requirements on releasing sources
> but strongly encourages to release everything that can be useful to
> designers: data files, glyph databases, smart code, build scripts,
> documentation and rendering samples.
Please, can there be a redesign of the Open Font Library so that clumps
of files can all be stored together?

At least as I perceive it, if I want to upload: a font, an sfd file and
an screenshot image of the font then each lives in its own little world
with no connection between them.
  I could put everything into a .tar.gz (but not a .tgz, nor a
.tar.bz2), but then my screenshot image would not be visible.

If source files are to be an expected part of things as the OFL
suggests, then they should be stored on the OFLib. It should be legal to
upload them on the "Submit fonts" page. But sfd, vfb, ufo (not sure how
to support this one) are not listed as valid extensions for this page.

If you are going to accept pfbs and afms then there needs to be some way
to link them together.

A year and a half since its inception, the openfontlibrary still does
not look to me as though it were designed with fonts in mind. I find
this distressing.