[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

gww at silcom.com gww at silcom.com
Sat Jan 5 14:28:04 PST 2008

Quoting Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com>:

> * Multiple background layers spring immediately to mind. (though FF
> doesn't support them, I hope it might one day, and FontLab has them,
> so they might be in a UFO (Erik? :-))
This was not in the online docs last I looked. They could (anything could) be
thrown into the "lib" dictionary -- but without a clear spec, this isn't very
useful to outsiders. (This is a problem I keep having with Erik's statements
that they just put layout data in the library -- it may be there, but unless it
is documented I don't want to depend on it).

Multiple backgrounds. And a way of storing a background which might be either
quadratic or cubic. Hmm.

> * The "FONTLOG" of OFL fonts.
Well, that's sort of there already. FontForge has a thing called a "Font
Comment" which FF initializes with a line saying when the font was created. The
intent was that people could use this as a changelog. Of course people can use
it as anything else they wish, too. And it's already in the 'PfEd' table.

There are also per-glyph comments, which are stored in the table.

> * The "stroke source" if the font is stroke based, made with metafont
> or kalliculator for example
I think that is best treated as just another "background layer", and not as a
separate issue.

In fact that might be a better way of dealing with cubic outlines for ttf too.