[Openfontlibrary] new release of the Ubuntu titling font

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sun Jan 13 15:36:15 PST 2008

Dave Crossland wrote:

> People can downplay how important they are and dodge the issue, but
> for me, guidelines are of first order importance.

Depends how the font was designed.

I put in *and remove* guidelines frequently when making a font.
Am I supposed to document all these different guidelines I use at
different stages while making the font?

The more important vertical guides usually correspond to
primary and secondary alignment zones and at least in pfb and
cff fonts these values *are* stored in the font
file along with other useful thins like stem widths etc.

For TTF - since custom tables can be added to TTF fonts, if there
is a real need  it should be easy enough to store info for things
like guidelines in the final font file as George suggests.

- Chris