[Openfontlibrary] Serving font files from Open Font Library for @font-face complicit browsers

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 09:47:57 PDT 2008

Hi,

I wrote:
> I wondered about offering a service that hosted such fonts. It could be
> an outgrowth of http://openfontlibrary.org/ (because it would share the
> same aim - "collect public domain fonts *so that they may be used freely*").

To clarify: I suppose that http://www.fontburner.com/ is a model, but on
a competing platform (never seen it before today - I don't use SiFR at
the moment).
>  Anyone
> discussing this elsewhere? Have I not been paying attention? ;-)

But my enquiry is simply: is anyone linked with OFL running a server
that is intended to serve font files to browsers that can understand
@font-face - or is anyone talking/thinking about doing this soon? The
fact is if I do it right now it works, but the world won't know that the
font's come from OFL.

Dave Crossland wrote:
> I guess it hasn't been discussed because its so obviously what OFLB is
> for :-)
Yes, although that's not explicitly stated. Perhaps this is just an
opportunity for
- a more obvious link on each font's page (more obvious than the
download button)
- a little badge graphic that nerds can stick on their pages to show
their support (nerds are not tired of this idea yet, if I'm an example...)

Cheers,
Ben