[Openfontlibrary] GPL with Font Exception?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jul 24 07:45:05 PDT 2008

2008/7/24 Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org>:

> I'd say it's also a question of agreeing on the policy.

AIUI, current OFLB policy is "what people contribute."

> I'd vote against unclear PD, pure GPL as options as it will cause future
> problems.

I'm happy for any free software font to be contributed to OFLB, and
then to make the OFLB UI highlight non-best-practice submissions, and
the "oflb font set" that Jon has talked about (that we would offer to
GNU/Linux distros) would only include the ones following best
practices. Broad input and narrow output, as the saying goes.

> And we really need to clarify the troubles with the current font
> exception for GPL-ed fonts too.

We do, but thats a separate issue.

> Also do we need to allow Vera-style licensing? MIT/X11/Expat? Some type of
> CC? Licensing proliferation is pretty bad.

These are all free; I think if we get people submitting fonts with
those licenses, we will have a point of contact to start a discussion
with them about following best practices. If we don't accept their
submissions, we might never get that discussion going.

> BTW, impressive work on the Jomolhari font :-)

+1! :-)

> We could use the server I host the planet on for testing.

That's a great idea :-)

> BTW the wiki seems to be hit by spam again:
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Special:Recentchanges

Noted...