[Openfontlibrary] font MIME types

gww at silcom.com gww at silcom.com
Wed Mar 26 13:17:08 PDT 2008

Quoting Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org>:

> Not quite sure where it comes from or the relationship to IANA but there
> are various x-font-* definitions in /usr/share/mime/application on my
> system.
   The whole "x-" namespace is deliberately excluded from IANA. Nothing in it is
registered nor can it be registered. It is (according to the docs) for
experimental stuff.
   I don't think things like TrueType, OpenType, Type1 -- all formats that have
been around for years and are well described and standardized -- should fit
under "x-".

But then I do not feel that I should be the person to register them, people from
Apple (for truetype) and Adobe/MS should do that. But no one has. (Nor has anyon
responded to my post on the OpenType list yet, which I hoped might prod someone).

> A quick search uncovers:
> http://www.huw.id.au/filetypes.html#Fonts
font/opentype
  Sadly the proposal for a top-level font MIME type seems to have expired, so
this is clearly wrong.
  https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-singer-font-mime/

application/x-font-ttf
 I explain above why I don't think the "x-" namespace is correct for fonts...
 It maybe that for the time being that's the best we can do though.

> This may be useful:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor
Yeah, they are the people who got me started on this...

> I like the idea of having the whole range of formats that fontforge
> knows registered and associated.
:-) I agree.
Well, most of them. Not sure it's that important to have a MIME type for Apple's
old NFNT bitmap format which even Apple doesn't support any more.