[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Femke Snelting snelting at geuzen.org
Wed May 21 02:38:46 PDT 2008

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for this interesting thread!

Thomas Phinney, product Manager Fonts @ Adobe left this comment on our
blogpost on the possible re-licensing of Utopia:

> Well, gosh, just drop me an email and we can talk. :)
>
> I’m open to the possibility of using OFL on the four basic faces of Utopia, as long as The Lawyers are okay with it.
>
> Cheers,

> Thomas Phinney
> Product Manager
> Fonts & Global Typography
> Adobe Systems

http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/?p=504

For typographers & designers it would be really exciting if Utopia (and
others!) would be available as source -- but to be able to make a
derivative work, it's license needs to allow more than just the freedom
to add glyphs.

We are not as informed about legal and technical consequenses as you all
are :-) and it looks like the trouble will be in the 'as long as the
lawyers are ok with it'. So... we wondered whether one of you want to
take this on? Or are you already in contact with these people? Or can
you help us with what we exactly should ask for?

all the best from Brussels,

Femke (OSP)