[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed May 21 06:56:21 PDT 2008

2008/5/21 Christopher Fynn <cfynn at gmx.net>:

> Personally I think it it would be useful to have a series of License choices
> available for fonts - like CC has for other artistic works.

I agree :-)

There are 3 licenses recommendable for fonts:

http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt (attribution only)
http://www.openfontlicense.org (weak copyleft)
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html (strong copyleft)

There are many other free culture licenses that are used for fonts,
but they are not recommended. www.freedomdefined.org lists some of
them. The most popular is
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ - a weak copyleft
license - and my wonderful classmate at Reading Paul Hunt has made
some nice fonts using FontStruct available under that license - eg,
http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/fontstructions/show/structurosa_1

The OFLB will one day support those 3 licenses as choices when
uploading a font, explain the series as the CC website does, and have
a 4th "Other Free Software License" category that will then require a
OFLB moderator to check the license before the font is published.

> Just like other creative people there are type designers who may be happy to
> have copies of some of their fonts distributed freely - but they may feel they
> wish to e.g. protect the integrity of their design and place some restrictions
> on modifications or derivatives.

Britannica wants to protect the integrity of their encyclopedia, and
they are welcome to carry on doing that - we're off building Wikipedia
because that attitute sucks :-)

As Nicolas wrote on another thread today, OFLB isn't another freeware
font site. We only deal with modifiable, free software fonts.

I support www.gnuherds.org -
democratic free software jobs