[Openfontlibrary] On the license of Adobe Utopia font

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 21 17:06:10 PDT 2008

    Thomas Phinney, product Manager Fonts @ Adobe left this comment on our
    blogpost on the possible re-licensing of Utopia:

    > Well, gosh, just drop me an email and we can talk. :)

Very cool.  Phinney was one of the people in the loop on the whole
previous discussion, as I recall.  I don't mind writing him, assuming I
can dig up his email somewhere.

    For typographers & designers it would be really exciting if Utopia (and
    others!) would be available as source --

I've never seen anything but the pfb's.  I doubt you'd lose much by
starting with them instead of sitting around waiting for lawyers to do
their thing.

    but to be able to make a derivative work, it's license needs to
    allow more than just the freedom to add glyphs.

The existing LICENSE-utopia absolutely *does* allow much more freedom
than merely adding glyphs.  It allows you do anything you want,
basically, except call your modified version "Utopia".  Read it.

karl