[Openfontlibrary] FontForge has direct support for DOWNLOADING and uploading!

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Sat Nov 1 12:30:34 PDT 2008

Hi,

Dave Crossland wrote:
> http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/oflib.html
>
> George, this is fantastic work! :-)

This is very nice.

My comments, with reference to the next OFLB site version, on the
instructions on that page:

* Linux packagers appreciate it if you also include the license in a
separate text file. If your font contains a license (see Element->Font
Info->TTF Names->License) then FontForge will extract this information
and send it up as a separate file. (Currently the OFLib does not accept
this information. I hope that will change).

.txt will be an accepted format, so as long as that extension is
appended that should work.

* It your font is released under the Open Font License then you should
also upload a FontLog file. Again FontForge will do that for you if your
font has fontlog information (Element->Font Info->FontLog). (Currently
the OFLib does not accept this information either).

There is a field on the typeface upload page for the Fontlog. No reason
why it shouldn't also be possible to upload a separate file, again with
a .txt extension

* You should also submit a font preview, an image of your font in use.
You may create one yourself and browse for it on the disk (using the
[...] button), or you may ask fontforge to generate a somewhat generic
one for you. FontForge searches the font for all the scripts in it and
then displays the alphabets of those scripts (at least that's what it
does for alphabets, for CJK it will display a small selection of the
defined glyphs). You can see an example of a fontforge generated preview
for NotCourier-Sans above

Great.

* Finally you may mark that your font is "Not safe for use in a work
environment" I'm not sure what font would fall into that catagory (I
think it is part of the common interface with the open clip art
library), perhaps a font where the glyph stems were nude figures or some
such.

That's been removed. Your speculation about an unsuitable font is
illuminating, George ;-)

Thanks,
Ben