[Openfontlibrary] ccHost compression

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 09:21:21 PST 2008

Hi,

Just to add a bookend: ccHost ships with two means of filtering files.
Both are additive - IOW nothing is allowed until explicitly permitted (I
prefer thi, and ccHost is at v5...)

The two methods:
- clever: getID3 (php file identifying lib). Useless to OFLB ATM as
nobody's added and fonts to the library.
- less clever: signature recognition (called 'pseudo verify'). Already
in place in the current OFLB live site for TTF, OTF, PFA etc (done by
the brave souls who set up the site) and perfectly reasonable IMO. It
basically does a head command on the file (so more basic than the file
command).

I tried to co-opt some of the file verification code in the new typeface
page (reasoning that the site already knew from info added to the pseudo
verify system which types of files belonged to each typeface) but gave
up. Instead I just made my own list of file extensions to check against
the filename (the 'get you home' solution :-).

Cheers,
Ben