[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Nov 4 01:35:51 PST 2008

I disagree. We make it clear what fonts should be under. And, if one
submits their fonts and not under the terms allowed, we should delete
the fonts and/or look to support the option if their is sufficient
uptake for the license after review.

The last thing we need is license proliferation, spreading more
confusion to users of the site, and incompatibilities between uploaded
fonts.

The other option is to add a custom field for selecting your own, like
what google code project does.

We have to ask ourselves the question: take a stand on the licenses, or
allow for as many fonts and their licensing quirks as possible, and
possible problems.

ASIDE: This is one of the reasons why on OCAL we did go only PD ;) I'm
not arguing for it.

So, we often debate this, but we should come to some general consensus
about the goal(s) of the site:

* allow as many fonts as possible and develop thriving font community,
but with possible confusion

* take a stand and allow for only the major 2-3 font license + PD
options to serve as beacon of font freedom.

Others are doing the great font site well already, but no one does these
two options, and I would argue this project is best served as the font
community for FLOSSD world.

However, one could say that if that is true, we should allow for all
fonts possible from FLOSSD and either allow for font licenses or push
the font licenses determined as best suited to foster non-proliferation.

Ok, this is becoming a new thread. ;)

FontFreedom man, you can take credit at least for getting us to talk
about these things :)

Jon