[Openfontlibrary] Non-Copyleft Openfontlibrary

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue Nov 4 03:01:07 PST 2008

Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2008/11/4 Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>:
>>> I've updated the site to warn people to check font files themselves
>> I disagree. We make it clear what fonts should be under. And, if one
>> submits their fonts and not under the terms allowed, we should delete
>> the fonts and/or look to support the option if their is sufficient
>> uptake for the license after review.
>
> Okay, i've removd those changes, and looked at all the PD fonts on the
> site; only 3 had descriptions saying they were under a different
> license, and I've revmoed/updated them to OFL accordingly.

Quick thought:

I'd recommend we consider having an upload policy that encourages
*authors themselves* to upload their own fonts and if others who are not
authors post a font it should be clearly marked as such ("on behalf of"
or something like that) and indicate who the upstream author is and
provide a link to the upstream site when it exists. A tickbox "I have
checked that this font isn't violating any author rights" or similar
could be useful IMHO.

Another policy item to separate ourselves from the gazillion freeware
font sites...

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
http://planet.open-fonts.org