[Openfontlibrary] design service

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:25:30 PST 2008

Hi, Jeremy,

Others on this list may provide you with other answers.  So please accept my
suggestion as just one of several possibilities:

As people begin uploading fonts, we discover some Latin fonts that contain
not much more than basic Latin A-Z.  To make these fonts really usable, it
would be great if knowledgeable type designers helped out by adding the
basic accented Latin letters required for pan-European usage first, and
eventually an even larger set of Latin letters needed for additional
Latin-based orthographies, such as Vietnamese, some of the American Indian
language orthographies, and various African language orthographies.

Another problem we may see is that even in OpenType fonts with kerning
pairs, kerning pairs may only be present for the basic Latin letters, and
not yet for the extended and accented Latin letters.

So, depending on your level of experience, helping to fill out some of the
existing fonts which appeal to you stylistically by adding accented and
extended Latin glyphs, or by adding OpenType kerning features,  may be a
fairly entertaining way to get your feet wet initially.

Best Wishes -- Ed Trager