[Openfontlibrary] Fonts: Patents, Trademarks

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 18:57:29 PST 2008

>Also, developing a high-quality typeface can be a lot of  work;
>Microsoft spent over a million US dollars on Arial, I've  heard.

It's my understanding very few fonts are patented. I suppose if you spend  $1
Million on developing a font, you can afford the average $10,000 (but can be
much higher than that) filing fees to get a patent in the U.S. + the cost of
your patent lawyer.

A trademark is much cheaper.

Here's the current pricelist for both patents and trademarks. (Note that  you
will generally have to pay many of these various fees for a patent, esp. if
there are any disputes.)

_http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee2008october02.htm#patapp_
(http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/qs/ope/fee2008october02.htm#patapp)

Holiday needs. Search Now.