[Openfontlibrary] design service

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Nov 6 02:34:12 PST 2008

2008/11/5 Liam R E Quin <liam at holoweb.net>:

> I've considered adding a lot of typeface
> scans to www.fromoldbooks.org but not sure who would benefit.

I think computer users everywhere would benefit, because those scans
can be artfully refined into good revivals that are free software and
thus would become used widely.

> Also, developing a high-quality typeface can be a lot of work;
> Microsoft spent over a million US dollars on Arial, I've heard.

Fedora 9 cost the equivalent of $10,000 million, I've heard :-)

> I'd rather see some creativity at work than blind copying :-)
> although I'm very willing to scan some typeface samples whose
> copyright has expired, e.g. to help people make revivals.

Even doing a "fully authentic revival" - a "blind copy" - involves a
lot of creativity, I think.