[OpenFontLibrary] Copyright etc.

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 07:05:40 PST 2008

Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2008/11/7 jeremy schorderet <casperduet at gmail.com>:
>> SWITZERLAND INPUT
>>
>> a lawyer teaches copyright at my school (Lausanne, switzerland)
>> what i heard:
>>
>> 70 years after author's death, the design/piece of art gets into public
>> domain
>
> If possible, please speak to him and confirm that in Switzerland a
> typeface design (an alphabet's shapes and spacings, not font software)
> is considered a piece of art, and has the normal life+70 copyright
> term :-)

Some European countries have laws on "Design Integrity". In Germany at
least these can be exercised by the State (Minister of Culture) even
after the expiration of Copyright. Also when the creator of a work
assigns or sells rights he apparently does not give up these "Design
Integrity" and acknowledgment of authorship rights.

Design Integrity essentially is to stop people messing up or making a
bad copy of your original design. Don't know if this would effect
"re-sampling" and such.

- C