[OpenFontLibrary] GPL fonts! (Was: Open Font Library submissions)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Nov 10 09:48:12 PST 2008

Le lundi 10 novembre 2008 à 17:31 +0000, Dave Crossland a écrit :
> 2008/11/10 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> >>
> >> TrueType and OpenType do this easily enough; the problem is getting
> >> users to put the metadata there.
> >
> > And keep it up to date / accurate
> >
> > Even when there is info in font metadata we often can not trust it
> > because it has been wrong so many times before.
>
> Hmm. I disagree with that reasoning. I'm using Epiphany right now. I
> go to Help, About and see:
>
> "Copyright (c) 2002-2004 Marco Pesenti Gritti
> Copyright (c) 2003-2006 The GNOME Web Browser Developers"
>
> and click the "Credits" button and see

[…]

> So I think it would be fine for a font to say in its metadata,

Unfortunately, in the actual world, that does not work for fonts. I
don't know if it's because no one reads the font metadata and reminds
font authors to correct it, or some other reason, but what we find out
when we package fonts is that font metadata is wildly inaccurate and
unreliable.

I think Ascender made a study that said non-foundry fonts were broken
because of this. I happen to disagree with Ascender on this point, bad
font metadata does not make a bad font, but the truth is that bad font
metadata is very common.

Nicolas Mailhot