[OpenFontLibrary] Site statistics

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:43:15 PST 2008

Hi, Dave & Ben,

I got the "keyTreeMap" class needed for the virtual keyboard
integrated and working today.  Now it needs testing!  If you and Ben
want to test, that would be a great help too.  Of course I will also
do a lot of testing myself.

Testing of complex key maps is what is really needed.  Any keymap that
requires entering 2 or more keys before arriving at a mapping is
"complex" by definition here.  So French and many of the other
European key maps are in fact complex.
For example, in the French keymap, you must enter "E$" (2 keys) to get " €".

Maps where entering one Qwerty key maps to one target letter are not
complex.  For example, the Thai key map is not a complex map, because
there are only 1-to-1 mappings.

Using French as an example, what is supposed to happen is this:

* If you type a "c", the background changes color while waiting for
additional input because the virtual keyboard will wait to see if you
type "c;" for c-cedilla.

* If you don't type ";", then the background reverts to white because
it is no longer waiting for follow-on characters.

* If you then type "o" followed by "e", you get "œ".  Background color
should actually change after the o, but doesn't -- must be a bug, but
at least the mapping works correctly.

* If you type "u", the background changes because you can have u with
umlaut or u with a hat (^) in french, so it waits to see what you type
next.

* if you type an "r", then you will have arrived at the french word "cœur".

* So far, this is no different than what I had working a few days ago,
except for the color.  But now really complex maps like Devanagari
should also work correctly and they definitely did not before.  What
makes Devanagari and some others really complex is that you can have
1-to-1, 2-to-1, 3-to-1, 4-to-1, 5-to-1, and maybe even greater n-to-1
mappings all in one key map.  Maps like Devanagari are the ones that
really require careful testing:

            http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/gci/keyboard.php

Also, do you think having the background change color to indicate that
the keyboard is waiting for more input is a good idea or not?

Let me know if you uncover strange bugs.

Best - Ed