[OpenFontLibrary] Should we (via moderation) accept all Free Software licenses?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 14 15:40:41 PST 2008

    - we want to reduce licensing proliferation

I completely agree.  However, I don't see the vote as saying "we will
blindly accept any random upload whose license is on license-list.html".
Dave said "via moderation".  I took that to mean the moderators will try
to convince such an uploader using a random license to use one of the
preferred ones.

The question is, do we want to completely reject an upload which
knowingly uses a different (known) free license?  IMHO, no.

On the other hand, in the name of license de-proliferation, I would
favor rejecting any upload which uses a custom license *not* listed on
license-list.html.

    - OFL

Ack.

    - MIT/X11/Expat (much better than PD)

As long as we're being dogmatic, I think we should recommend Expat and
not mention MIT, X11, modified BSD, ISC, etc., etc.  Expat is the only
one of that family which has an unambiguous name and meaning.  (Again,
that does not actively rejecting a font using mBSD.)

    - GPLv3 + reworked font exception

I see no problem with GPLv2+exception.

And there is no "reworked font exception" to my knowledge, so I don't
know what you're referring to there.

karl