[OpenFontLibrary] Expat License

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Nov 16 04:48:26 PST 2008

Personally, I used to think OFL everywhere would be the future, but I've
come to realise its non-copyleft orientation and all its
renaming/fontlog requirements would never make it acceptable for a large
number of the font projects I follow.

In other words the OFL bent backwards too much to please some font
designers and would never be recognized by free software folks as
codifying their ideal (and free software folks are a major force when
creating i18n fonts that cover scripts with little commercial appeal is
needed).

So if I had a stake in OFLB (and I haven't, I contributed zip to this
particular project so far), I'd insist the OFLB recommended font
shortlist to consist at least of
– the OFL
– GPL with font exception (reworked as cleanly as possible with the
FSF), or LGPL
— a very permissive PD-like license (ie PD done right, an actual text
granting various rights)

And as for some of those licenses not being well-known by typeface
designers ⇒ this is part of OFLB evangelism role, and given the
craptastic licenses I see everyday attached to web fonts it's much
needed.

This would avoid future Droid/Liberation/STIX licensing hell
repetitions.

--
Nicolas Mailhot