[OpenFontLibrary] CSS cascades: substituting typefaces with different appearing sizes

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Nov 19 11:04:31 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 17:58 +0000, Ben Weiner wrote:
[...]
> In the case of a web page, the substitute typeface might need to be
> bigger or smaller; more likely, it might need more or less line feed.
> But there is no way to change the parameters of a CSS rule based on the
> typeface (font-family) selected by the browser from a cascade like
>
>   font-family: "My Cool Sans", "Trebuchet" sans-serif;
>
> I wonder if anyone has thoughts about this.

It could be done with javascript; JQuery is good for this sort
of thing.

Of course, you could also end up with some glyphs in your
Web page from "My Cool Sans" and some from Trebuchet, and some
from Ariel Bold Italic, given that style rule...

If we (W3C) go ahead with a Web Fonts Working Group, this is
one aspect of liaison with CSS that I hope will get considered.

Liam