[Openfontlibrary] [Cctools-cchost] ccHost 5: pseudo-verify files with no extension

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Oct 18 12:34:26 PDT 2008

[...]
>> Although I have to say, it's going to be a relatively low priority
>> because I know for a fact that getID3 is completely broken without
>> extensions - unless you really things it's undo hardship to require
>> your users to add a ".txt" extension...
>>
> Nah, not really, but the convention is that those files don't have
> extensions... this kind of change seems like it's taking ccHost away
> from serving 'media', however, which seems to be taking it away from
> what it is intended for.
>
> I notice that in Nicolas Spalinger's recommended file layout for a
> packaged typeface FONTLOG files have a .txt extension:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~fonts/open-font-design-resources/foo-open-font-sources/files
>
> Ben

Indeed, I think we're forming our own conventions for these files, and a
.txt extension is a good common denominator for cross-platform
collaboration, especially those platform with with weird extension
mechanisms...

A quick grep in /usr/share/doc shows a bunch of such files with a .txt
I'd say we should encourage having such extensions.

Nicolas Spalinger
http://planet.open-fonts.org