[Openfontlibrary] [Cctools-cchost] ccHost 5: pseudo-verify files with no extension

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Sun Oct 19 05:47:52 PDT 2008

Hi,

Dave Crossland wrote:

>> Well, not really. Posix has a ~256 character in filename limit. VMS
>> still has the limits above (~30 character extensions).
>>

> Thanks for your corrections, I love this kind of trivia :-)
Robbins and Beebe's Classic Unix Shell Scripting (O'Reilly, 2005) should
be on your list then. The authors dilligently tested every *IX, *UX and
derivative they could lay their hands on, just to know whether it was
the spirit or the letter of POSIX that was being respected in each case.
Strangely gripping.

I think we have a consensus that files must have extensions. That's
good, because ccHost does not ship with any accommodation for
extensionless file types.

Ben