[Openfontlibrary] Font formats accepted by OFLB

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Oct 25 09:18:52 PDT 2008

Le samedi 25 octobre 2008 à 15:37 +0100, Ben Weiner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I wrote:
> > Incidentally, there is no reason why what I'm informally calling the
> > 'typeface record' (the basic unit of ccHosting as applied to fonts, eg
> > http://openfontlibrary.org/media/files/OSP/322)
> Looking at this rather fab typeface, it's clear what a huge chore it
> would be to upload the whole family file by file.

Download would be no easier.

Again, one of the big reasons evey distro under the sun bundles DejaVu
nowadays, is that it used early the well known and proven bin tarball +
source tarball (with build scripts, documentation, detached font
license, versioning, etc) distribution form instead of the usual "fonts
are special" mess that has everyone but font creators scratching their
heads wondering what they're supposed to make of it.

It's fairly interesting to note, BTW, that despite all the media tapage
Liberation is still struggling to get the same adoption rate as DejaVu
http://www.codestyle.org/css/font-family/sampler-UnixResults.shtml

The only big difference between Liberation and early DejaVu (apart from
the Red Hat marketing run) was the craptastic way Liberation was
initially published on the web (and it was still better than getting
files one at a time).

Nicolas Mailhot