[OpenFontLibrary] OFL problems, IPA License annoyances

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Apr 7 01:05:22 PDT 2009

Le Lun 6 avril 2009 21:54, Dave Crossland a écrit :

> A new OSI approved font license is out, the Japanese "IPA Font
> License":
>
>     http://opensource.org/licenses/ipafont.html
>
> The OFLB is only going to run with the most popular free font
> licenses, to encourage license consolidation, so I doubt the OFLB will
> accept IFL fonts anyway.

I doubt anyone but the IPA people will use it, it is overly
restrictive and makes it impractical to use anything but the original
font. It's a very convoluted way to say "free to use but not modify)

> I hope this will help in the updating of the GNU GPL Font Exception
> :-)

I don't think it it very well worded. For example it seems the
licensing only lays the rules for direct recipients of a document with
embedded fonts. The definitions had some potential, but they spoiled
it by being overly verbose and distinguishing "digital content" from
"digital document file".

They would have been better advised to lay minimal conditions in
simple words and not let their lawyers pile up unrelated fell-good
material in the licensing.

--
Nicolas Mailhot