[OpenFontLibrary] Bruce Perens criticized SIL Open Font License

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Apr 7 08:11:11 PDT 2009

Le Mar 7 avril 2009 16:45, Liam R E Quin a écrit :

> On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:17 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>> Extracting fonts from PDF and saving in editable form is not rocket
>> science. You just grab Fontmatrix/SVN :)
>
> That would be a really really really bad feature to put into
> fontmatrix, I'd say!
>
> Let's at least try to keep at least a little good will with
> the commercial font designer community, if we actually
> want to see professional font designers start to get
> involved with open source.

IMHO it's not sane to try to mix technical restrictions and licensing
restrictions. That's the road to DRM hell.

A licensing text should not assume what is technically possible (or
not), and tools should not restrict themselves because of common
licensing requirements (as long as there is a legal use).

--
Nicolas Mailhot