[OpenFontLibrary] font linking bandwidth issues

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Wed Apr 29 01:41:31 PDT 2009

Op 28 apr 2009, om 21:35 heeft Nicolas Spalinger het volgende
geschreven:

> With a font you have rights to modify I'd recommend trying out using
> http://fonts.philip.html5.org/ for which source code is released under
> MIT/X11.
>
> Notice how it does the subsetting gracefully: it does not strip away
> upstream copyright and licensing notices and handles renaming
> properly.
>
> HTH

That’s a great tool!

Would be handy if you could not only specify glyphs, but also Unicode
ranges to subset to, I for example went and subsetted Charis SIL to
include only Basic-Latin and Latin Extended glyphs, exactly for these
reasons of bandwidth.

I did that in FontForge, but it would be great if you could do
something similar hosted, on-the-fly!

Liam pointing out Gzipping is smart as well, I never got around to
doing that, but definitely should—since downloading the font takes
half of the download time of my page now (other components *are*
Gzipped with mod_deflate)

Eric