[OpenFontLibrary] OneClickOrgs beta - our environment is now ready

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Tue Dec 8 03:47:00 PST 2009

Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2009/12/3 Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org>:
>> This effort may well help the OFLB move forward. Getting the core team
>> together and providing clearer ways for others to contribute can only be
>> useful. I like the idea of an AGPL tool dedicated to help with this.
>> Let's see what it can bring to our community.
>
> :-)
>
>> I confirm that I intend to continue working with the OFLB and will
>> attend/contribute to the next LGM in Brussels. The initial core team
>> looks good to me (considering past contributions).
>
> Thanks :-)

And thanks for your many efforts too!

>> But what form will this proposed structure take in practise?
>> We need to define and finalize a charter/constitution, set up clear
>> community policies along with establishing non-profit/for-profit
>> equilibrium and the necessary funding transparency... I will send more
>> thoughts on this soon.
>
> I believe that is what the application will help us do - so far it has
> asked me to state the 6 'core team' names and emails, and enter "The
> organisation's objectives" for which I wrote:
>
> "To distribute, develop, and promote the development of, free (libre)
> fonts and typeface designs."

If it's the "Open" Font Library, I really think it should be reflected
in our objectives a bit more clearly.

I feel that the OFLB is more of a catalog and a meta open-foundry with
useful utilities and documentation helping people find and use quality
open fonts on the web. Our advocacy should really be action-based. IMHO
focusing the scope will help us move forward. Always harder to be
everything to everyone.

How about instead:

"To catalogue, host and sponsor the creation and availability of quality
libre/open fonts (typeface designs software expressions) for the web."

> Also I checked "yes" box on "The organisation will have the power to
> hold and transfer assets"

OK.

I for one vote for our "constitution" to articulate community and
business relationships as clearly as we can.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org