[OpenFontLibrary] PT Sans

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Dec 31 01:54:40 PST 2009

Hi

2009/12/31 Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>:

> there is no copyright on legal texts

Legal texts as published by governments - perhaps, such as in the USA.

Legal texts as in literary works that discuss legal topics? Hardly.

> Declaring content to be "not legally redistributable" is thus another proof of
> how poisoned the Open Source/Open Content movement has become.

Fedora is one of the big distributions most commited to software
freedom, is strict about legal soundness, and is US based, so I think
this is appropriate if we aim to be an upstream for Fedora's fonts. I
believe one of the major contributions OFLB can make to type designers
is to make it easy for them to contribute fonts to the software
freedom community that meet the highest standards of libre licensing.

Similarly, although typeface designs have no copyright restrictions in
the US legal system, in Germany and UK they have 25 years of
restriction, so worldwide, we ought not to accept clones of typefaces
newer than 25 years.

Cheers