[OpenFontLibrary] @font-face, is it really needed for font preview?

Egil Möller egil.moller at freecode.no
Fri Feb 13 06:50:25 PST 2009

Hi again!
> To write a server-side program that generates a bitmap image of text
> is fairly simple.  To write a server-side program that generates the
> SVG snippets instead is more work.  However such an SVG curve
> generator would be pretty cool because then you could scale the text
> dynamically on the client side, change colors using CSS, and generally
> have a lot of fun playing around with the SVG outlines directly on the
> client side.  So it would be quite cool if someone did it.

I migth be naïve, but couldn't you just use latex | pdf2ps | pstoedit?

You still need to figure out _which_ glyphs to render, and to configure
LaTeX to use your ttf (see
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/language/latex/latex33-LaTeXAndTrueTypeFont/index.html#Using_truetype_font_in_TeX),
but it should all be possible to wrap up in a little shell scripting...

As for the glyph selection, I guess you could just assign weights to
each glyph in Unicode depending on how common it is in the languages
that use the region in question. This part could be done once, possibly
using google queries...

/Egil

--
Konsulent, Fri Programvare / Free Software Consultant
Mobil: +47 - 473 44 024

Check out our published Free Software @ http://code.freecode.no.