[OpenFontLibrary] What licenses do we accept?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 15 11:19:30 PDT 2009

Le mercredi 15 juillet 2009 à 19:52 +0300, Khaled Hosny a écrit :

> > > AMS fonts version 3.1 (released few weeks ago) is now OFL licensed.
> > > http://www.ams.org/tex/amsfonts.html
> >
> > Just proves you can rely on TeXies to keep obsolete font formats alive
> > long after their peremption date.
>
> There are old TeX engines that aren't going anywhere anytime soon, since
> those system do what their users want for decades now, why bother
> replacing them. Converting Type1 fonts to OpenType isn't that simple,
> and there is little gain to justify the effort (from TeX point of view)
> and thus I expect these fonts to stay around for longer time.

I expect apps (not just TeX) that do not update their fonts will find
out that integration in distros like Fedora is increasingly difficult. I
certainly have no intention of screwing up the rest of the system just
so TeX and friends don't have to evolve. Sanity checks will apply to any
package shipping fonts regardless of its history. And the intent is to
write more checks not less (guess what packages fail them today)

--
Nicolas Mailhot