[OpenFontLibrary] What licenses do we accept?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:22:15 PDT 2009

Hi, Khaled,

> I'm not sure in what sense using Type1 fonts would screw up the rest of
> the system. TeX fonts has always been a different territory, and aren't
> supposed to integrate with the rest of the system anyway. Technically
> speaking, TeX is frozen and will never get updated, Even though new
> TeX-based engines support OpenType (XeTeX and LuaTeX), there still
> people who aren't willing to switch, for valid reasons, and will keep
> use those "obsolete" formates. So, distros have either to support these
> use scenarios or screw up their users, it is up to them.
>
> And as Type1 is a valid font formate (I just checked, and my GTK+ apps
> can use it) and I don't see a point for OFLB not to support it.

OFLB may well support Type1.

However at the moment there is an implementation detail which is:
Fontaine does not yet fully investigate all aspects of a Type1 font.
For example, Fontaine currently only investigates the Copyright and
License fields in TrueType and OTF fonts, but not in Type1 Postscript
fonts.  Fontaine, which uses FreeType2, can of course be improved to
do a better job with Type1 fonts.  I just need to have the time to do
the coding.

So that's why today I was just looking for TTF or OTF fonts for testing ...

Best Wishes -- Ed