[OpenFontLibrary] Objectives of OFLB

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 11:02:56 PDT 2009

>IMHO the main objective of OFLB is to teach designers to  license
>clearly their work and teach users to actually check those  licenses.

Alright. The problem with this is: OFLB is becoming biased towards one
license category, (copyleft / SIL OFL)

The new OFLB desparately needs these sections:

A section dedicated to the proprietary commercial potential for fonts
derived from fonts licensed as "open source type" fonts. Show people where they
can sell their derivative fonts, how to setup a business.

Plus a section strongly advising people submitting fonts to openfontlibrary
 to avoid using "copyleft" licenses, as this might diminish or destroy
their  potential for future use in proprietary fonts.

Understand these are *minority* opinions. People need choices, and to
understand their licensing options.

>dafont, myfont, etc would be fine if they actually provided  clear
>licensing and origin info instead of stripping it and putting on  a
>"free" tag that does not mean anything.

I've sent emails to dafont.com about their lumping "Public domain / GNU
GPL" into one license category.
No responses from them.

FontFreedom
**************Shop Inspiron, Studio and XPS Laptops at Dell.com
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222616459x1201464730/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.d
oubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215218145%3B37264238%3Bd)